At Restoration, we talk about three phases people often go through to become a Christian: Experience, Trust, Follow.
Jesus didn't ask for blind faith. He invited people to come with Him and learn. His disciples recruited simply by saying "come and see" (John 1:46). We invite you to do the same. Come to one of our gatherings and hang out. Spend some time around people who love Jesus and love each other. Restoration doesn't happen through blind faith. It happens when you see God for who He is and respond accordingly. Ask God to reveal Himself. Ask questions of His people. Look at the evidence for Jesus, not just historical evidence (though that is important), see the evidence of His restoration in the lives of His people. Seeing God make things new right now is possibly the most compelling evidence for Jesus.
Loving God involves your heart, soul, mind, and strength (Mark 12:30-31), so all four things should be involved when making the decision to follow Jesus The best way to begin is to Experience Jesus. Watch Him work in your life and the lives of others. Ask Him to reveal Himself. See what happens. If Jesus reveals Himself to you, then put your Trust Him and Follow Him. We recommend doing a few things while you are taking the time to consider whether Jesus is the Truth.
- Pray: Ask God to reveal Himself to you. Jesus said that the Holy Spirit (God) would guide us to the Truth (John 16:13)
- Read the Bible (Use a version that is easy to read like the English Standard Version. Download a free Bible App)
- Forget about secondary issues for a while and focus on Jesus. It doesn’t matter much what you think about most topics related to Christianity. What matters is Jesus. Is He God? Did He die for your sin debt? Did He really raise from the dead?
- Spend time with people who love Jesus. Stay away from “churchy” people. Jesus said that His disciples could be known by their love. If you don’t experience God’s love from someone, then it is going to be hard to figure out Jesus with them. Get around people who love sacrificially, forgive sacrificially, and exhibit humility.
This is What God's Love Looks Like
This is What God's People Look Like
- Holy Bible
- The Case for Christ by Lee Strobel
- By This Name by John Cross